DISCLAIMER

DISCLAIMER
The information contained on this web site is intended solely for the use of the reader. It is not intended as a substitute for medical care by an individual's own health care provider. Persons accessing this information assume full responsibility for its use and acknowledge that the author/owner of this blog/website is neither responsible nor liable for any claim, loss or damage arising from the use of this information. Consult your healthcare provider for advice relating to medical conditions, procedures and weight loss programs.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

15 days to go...

I was told today that my surgery date is being moved up by a day.  I'm very excited..  I started the pre-surgery diet this week.  I started a few days early so I would be used to it.  I'm glad I started replacing breakfast with a protein shake last week it has been a much easier transitioning to replacing lunch with a shake also.
I have to admit I would love an extra large pizza right now.  But I'll be having some protein jello instead.
The purpose of the high protein, calorie restricted diet  prior to surgery is to decrease the size of the liver, which can shorten operating time. It also helps to reduce the amount of fat in the upper abdomen. Since this area is the specific surgical site, the reduction of this fat is beneficial to the safety of the procedure. Adopting a healthy, reduced calorie diet plan prior to bariatric surgery gets you into the habit of eating less, eating healthy and making the essential dietary changes that will be required after your bariatric surgery, and for the rest of your life.
Because of the close proximity of the liver to the stomach, having the liver slightly smaller than normal aids the physician in performing the surgery without interference and lowers the risk of complications.

No comments:

Post a Comment