DISCLAIMER

DISCLAIMER
The information contained on this web site is intended solely for the use of the reader. It is not intended as a substitute for medical care by an individual's own health care provider. Persons accessing this information assume full responsibility for its use and acknowledge that the author/owner of this blog/website is neither responsible nor liable for any claim, loss or damage arising from the use of this information. Consult your healthcare provider for advice relating to medical conditions, procedures and weight loss programs.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

20 days after surgery

Well I have had my 1st post op appointment last week.  Everything has gone well.  I have advanced to a regular high protein diet.  I'm amazed at how little I'm able to actually eat.  For dinner tonight I made half of a hamburger patty and was only able to eat a quarter of it.  What surprises me is that I never seem to get hungry and have to remind myself I need to eat.  I much prefer a protein shake to solid food although it takes me two hours to drink and 11 oz shake.  At the most I have been able to get in maybe 50 grams of protein a day and almost 1 liter of water.
I knew my eating life would change I just was not truly prepared for how drastic it is.  I eat less then 600 calories a day.  I still am weak toward the end of the day and don't have a lot of energy.  The doctor told me this would improve as my body adjusts to the low calories and activity levels.  I'm really glad I still have a week and half before I go back to work.  I think working will be a challenge for my endurance.

I was reflecting back to the things I wish I had known before surgery so I would have been more prepared.
1-That water was going to hurt so much even when warmed.  Popsicles went down much better.
2-Taking pills with apple sauce instead of water.
3-Not to worry about anything but fluid for the first few days.  They told me to have thinned protein shakes everyday but my stomach did not like those.
4-Gas-X to help the gas bubbles you get in your stomach.  Those kept getting stuck and the gas-x helped dissolve them.
5-That the gas pains from the CO2 they used to fill your abdomen with during surgery would last 5-7 days after surgery.  I was told it would only last a few days.  However it really last longer and walking is the best thing and taking Tylenol even though you don't have abdominal pain helps also.


No comments:

Post a Comment